Thursday, May 14, 2009

Alternative Map of St. Mary's

My map of St. Mary's is related to a research proposal that I wrote for one of my Anthropology classes. The proposal is about the cigarette smoking behaviors of St. Mary's College students. I want to find out why students begin to smoke and what influences their smoking behaviors.

For the map, I decided to do some research about my own smoking behavior and identify places on campus where I take smoke breaks. I made bars with pictures of smoke around them in Google Sketch. They represent the amount of stress I feel before I smoke a cigarette. At each place, I wrote about what I see, if I am with anyone else, and what I am doing when I decide to take a smoke break. The place markers are color coded according to how often I smoke at each place: red means everyday, purple means four to six days and blue means one to three days. The paths are color coded the same way, but with different shades of each color to distinguish the paths from each other. I also included some nonsmoking areas with reasons for me to quit smoking. One is at the cross country meeting place and one is at my house in Baltimore. I would have liked to includ pictures at each place to show when I am alone and when I am with friends and what I see when I am smoking a cigarette.

By looking at the map and reading about each place, you can draw some conclusions about my smoking behaviors. I am more stresses out when I smoke alone and when I am doing schoolwork. I smoke more often at places that I smoke alone rather than when I am with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment